Here is the latest trailer for “Finding Dory,” which is due in theaters June 17.
Directed by Andrew Stanton and Angus MacLane (the latter has worked on Pixar shorts) and co-written by Stanton, “Finding Dory” is the long-awaited sequel to the 2003 film “Finding Nemo,” also written and directed by Stanton.
This third trailer is easily the strongest. A few notes:
- My only beef: Someday we will stop using Peter Gabriel’s “Solsbury Hill” in trailers. That day is not today.
- Though the film is largely set six months after “Finding Nemo,” we see Dory in flashbacks (Ellen DeGeneres) as a young fish who has lost her family. Looks like her short-term memory has never, ever been good.
- Some new face– um, fish: Ed O’Neill as an octopus named Hank, Ty Burrell as a beluga named Bailey and Kaitlin Olson as a whale shark named Destiny.
- The animation looks glorious.
- In perhaps the greatest ever nod to “The Wire,” Idris Elba and Dominic West play two very chill sea lions. Truly, we are living in a Golden Age.
- Between “Captain America: Civil War,” “The Jungle Book,”Zootopia” and, oh yeah, “Star Wars” movies at the end of last year and the end of this, Disney is owning 2016 like few studios have ever owned a year. It is Disney and then everyone else.
So what do you think, Austin? Comment below.